THE MINUTES OF FRANT PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
HELD AT
BELLS YEW GREEN VILLAGE HALL ON WEDNESDAY 17 OCTOBER 2007 AT 19:30

 

Present: Councillors Crookshank (Chairman), Harris, Jeal, Mrs Myers, Rowland and Mrs Scarborough.
Also in attendance: John Wood, Emergency Co-ordinator at WDC, PC Etherington and four members of the public.

1.             TO RECEIVE APOLOGIES AND REASON FOR ABSENCE
Apologies received from Cllrs. Burgess, Gray, Hall, Hewes and Mrs Howell; reasons noted and accepted.
Apology received from County Cllr. Tidy.

2.             DECLARATIONS OF INTERESTS
Cllrs Crookshank and Harris declared an interest in item 15 as trustees of Bells Yew Green Village Hall.

3.             TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD 19.09.07 AND THE PLANNING MEETING 1.10.07 AS A TRUE RECORD
The minutes of the meetings held 19.09.07 and 1.10.07 were approved as a true record and signed.

4.             TO DETERMINE MATTERS ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES FOR UPDATING AND NOTING
None.

5.             OPEN FORUM    
Representatives from Frant Nursery School asked for there to be a fenced area at the play equipment on Frant Green due to concerns about the proximity to a busy road. The Nursery School is thriving and there is pressure to provide an outdoor play space; the equipment on Frant Green would help to fulfil this requirement. The Nursery School indicated that a contribution towards fencing could be made.  A petition supporting fencing was handed in to the Chairman.

Request for safety measures to be introduced for pedestrians at the crossroads at Bells Yew Green. Resident was advised that a recent request to ESCC for traffic calming had been refused as there had not been any serious accidents in the last three years. PC Etherington reported that traffic speed monitoring would be carried out in the vicinity after the temporary traffic lights associated with the housing development had been removed.
A pelican crossing is due to be installed as part of the housing development.

6.             POLICE REPORT
Report that crime continues to fall in the area with only 14 reported incidents in the last 90 days. Traffic speed monitoring to be undertaken in the parish; recent checks in other areas have shown that few motorists are exceeding the limit.
There have been some changes in local Police personnel. Some PCSOs from the Uckfield area have been accepted into the Police force.

7.             TO RECEIVE PRSENTATION ON EMERGENCY PLANNING
John Wood, Emergency Planning Officer at WDC, gave a presentation on the work of emergency planning and the role of Parish Councils. The District Council has a duty to provide comprehensive plans for all emergencies; these plans link with other service providers. Parish Councils can provide invaluable local knowledge in the event of an emergency. A community based emergency plan should contain an action plan to be followed in the event of an emergency, an incident log, contacts telephone numbers, risk assessment and a list of vulnerable people in the area. Data Protection Act implication were discussed.

8.             TO RECEIVE THE COUNTY COUNCILLOR’S REPORT
None.

9.             TO RECEIVE THE DISTRICT COUNCILLOR’S REPORT
The following report had been forwarded from Cllr. Mrs Howell:

10.          HIGHWAYS AND LIGHTING ISSUES
The installation of the Vehicle Activated sign is being chased.

To approve lighting repairs
Resolved to approve lighting repairs to column 33 amounting to £23.10.

11.          PLANNING
To make recommendations about Planning Applications received
Resolved to respond to applications received as follows:
WD/2007/2933/F Frant Place, Wadhurst Road – greenhouse with garden wall and gardeners WC.
No objection.
WD/2007/2530/FE Borders Sports Club, St Marks Recreation Ground – retention of containers for storage purposes.
No objection.

12           ACTION POINTS
To note emergency action at play equipment
The beam to the see-saw was removed under emergency procedures following notification of an accident; insurance company has been advised. Playground Services has inspected the beam and reported that two metal sections were not joined and there was evidence of gradual wear over a long period of time; this was within the mechanism of the equipment and not visible. A quote of £664 + VAT has been received to repair the equipment – this will be put on the agenda for the November meeting.

To approve maintenance work to trees on Frant Green
Resolved to approve quotation from Treeworks of £60 + VAT to remove suckers from Lime near Warren Ridge and £80 + VAT to prune low limb on Sycamore by entrance to Shernfold Park. Treeworks to be asked to submit application to WDC for permission to carry out work on Sycamore which is covered by a Tree Preservation Order.

Quotation received for supplying and planting three Limes on Frant Green; prices range from £410 + VAT to £571.50 + VAT depending on the girth. Advice and guarantee information to be sought from contractor.

To approve repair to bus shelter and installation of insulated cover for stand pipe at allotments
Resolved to approve expenditure of £105 for installing an insulated cover to the standpipe at the allotments and for a minor repair to the bus shelter at Sleeches Cross. Payment to be made under Small Holdings and Allotment Act 1908 s26 and LG(MP)A 1953 s4.

13.          FINANCE
To note report from Internal Auditor, consider the Internal Audit Plan and review effectiveness of Internal Audit
Report of Internal Audit visit 2.10.07 reviewed and comments noted. Resolved to approve the Internal Audit Plan which details the scope of work to be carried out. The Plan is considered appropriate and is risk based.
The effectiveness of Internal Audit was reviewed. The auditor is considered competent to carry out the role and is independent of any Frant Parish Council activities. Regular reports are provided to the council.

To review spend against budget
Spend against budget reviewed and is on track at £11145.

To approve expenditure for attendance at SLCC Regional Conference
Resolved to approve expenditure of £20 + VAT as half payment for the Clerk to attend the SLCC Regional Conference 14.11.07

To approve accounts payable

It was resolved to pay the following accounts:
AutoNat West voucher charge
3.25
DDEDF Energy street light maintenance charge
122.87
994Frant Memorial Hall hire 1.10
9.00
995EDF Energy repair to street light no. 33
23.10
996R Clarke insulated cover for allotment tap
105.00
DDEDF Energy energy charges 1.07 30.09
506.43
997Wealden District Council election charges
453.78
998J L Roberts internal audit
72.80
999Playground Services remove beam from see-saw
270.25
000R Hewes mileage to Design Guide meeting
16.00
001Z McGregor-Gould cleaning duties
86.66
002Bells Yew Green Village Hall hire 17.10
15.00
003salary and expenses
500.96
004Post Office Ltd tax/NICs
183.26
005Wadhurst Parish Council photocopier repair
30.71
Bank reconciliation at 3.10.07
Balance B/F
22899.42
Receipts
29948.49
payments
(11909.42)
40938.49
Current account
400.00
Business Reserve
40571.99
40971.99
Less unpresented items
985
9.00
986
15.50
994
9.00
40938.49

Payments authorised

14.          CORRESPONDENCE FOR NOTING
The following items of correspondence were discussed:

  1. News article on Colonel By from a Canadian publication.
  2. Chairman of Benhall Mill Road Land Association asking for council’s opinion of proposed development by Charles Church.

Remaining correspondence was dealt with during the course of the meeting and detailed on a separate list circulated to councillors.

15.          URGENT ISSUES AT THE DISCRETION OF THE CHAIRMAN FOR NOTING OR INCLUSION ON FUTURE AGENDA
Lottery application for extension/improvement at Bells Yew Green Village Hall has been delayed due to a discrepancy between the land certificate and the Trust Deed. Action in Rural Sussex is reviewing the documentation. Item to be included on the November agenda.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 20:55